WaterOne is an independent public water utility. We’ve been proudly serving the Johnson County, Kansas area since 1957. Every day, nearly 425,000 customers rely on WaterOne to provide fresh, clean water on demand. It’s a responsibility we deliver on.
Our passion is water because water touches everything we care about: family, health, safety, and community. We serve our community by bringing award-winning water to their homes, businesses, and public places.
The Construction Inspector will inspect the work of outside contractors for the installation of new or rehabilitated water mains to ensure all facilities are installed in accordance with the contract documents and according to WaterOne design and construction standards.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Verify that contractor complies with WaterOne specifications and construction standards.
- Verify pay items completed by contractor and perform timely data entry for monthly Pay Estimate to contractor.
- Complete job packets in a timely manner.
- Assist with the preparation of monthly Payment Estimates for the Main Extension contract.
- Obtain field ties to water facilities during construction.
- Keep accurate daily records of issues and conversations related to construction in daily log book.
- Communicate with Supervisor and Engineering design staff about issues such as project phasing, pre-installed road-crossing pipes, field obstructions encountered, changes in the work, etc.
- Monitor project costs as work progresses compared to estimate and notify Supervisor immediately when a cost overrun is likely to occur.
- Communicate job site readiness with Supervisor for coordination of construction scheduling with developers, developers’ contractors, and Water Main Extension contractor. Coordinate with Supervisor scheduling for construction staking and other land survey services required.
- Communicate with Supervisor to coordinate WaterOne crews’ work related to Main Extension contractor and work related to relocations of existing facilities related to developers’ projects.
- Communicate with Supervisor to suggest initiation of additional crews or reduction in crews.
- Anticipate potential problems associated with construction and propose solutions to Supervisor and make minor design changes in the field.
- Take preconstruction, progress, and post construction photographs of project sites as appropriate to document conditions and situations encountered.
- Take accurate GPS data on all main extension work.
- Locate existing facilities with GPS/locating equipment.
- Review Main Extension as-built drawing postings in GIS for accuracy.
Electrical & Controls Engineer II (Project Engineer)
The purpose of this position is to perform detailed designs, calculations, cost estimates, plans and specifications for contract documents and evaluations of various types of water works improvements projects. Also performs or assists with construction management duties, inspection of the construction work, various levels of field investigations, and review of consulting engineers’ designs. Operates, when assigned, in a consulting capacity to other departments in technical engineering matters. The assignments are screened for unusual or difficult portions of a job and a recommended procedure is laid out by the supervisor; all other portions of the work should be able to be approached by the use of standardized techniques.